Moving to Ithaca
Ithaca is home to spectacular waterfalls and lakes, organic farms and wineries, a thriving music and arts community, and an invigorating climate year round. Located at the southern tip of Cayuga Lake, the longest of the 11 Finger Lakes, Ithaca is consistently rated among the most livable cities in the United States.
Five of our favorite things about Ithaca:
- Ithacans are friendly. You will encounter friends, neighbors, and fellow students on campus, at the supermarket, and on downtown streets.
- Ithaca is accessible and within easy driving distance to New York, Boston, Toronto, and Montreal.
- Ithaca has a diverse local population that supports international cultural festivals including the local Tibetan Festival, international food markets, and even a Chinese language school for local children.
- Ithacans love good food, and the city is home to more restaurants per capita than New York City.
- Ithaca is naturally beautiful, with lakes, waterfalls, parks, and gardens.
Sampling of recent accolades:
- Ithaca ranked #6 in "America's Foodiest Towns," (pop under 250,000) by Bon Appétit magazine, Sept. '10
- Ithaca ranked #1 Best College Town (under 250,000 pop.) by American Institute for Economic Research, Sept. ‘10
- Ithaca ranked #7 in “America’s Brainiest Metros”, The Daily Beast, online, August, ‘10
- Ithaca ranked #1 among 350 U.S metro areas as the best place for recent college grads, The Daily Beast, online, June, ‘10
- Ithaca ranked in top-100 places to live, top-10 recreation cities and top-10 small towns by RelocateAmerica.com, April, ‘10
- Ithaca ranked best college town by American Institute of Economic Research, Sept. 2009
- Ithaca ranked third (again, see Dec. 07) in Farmers Insurance study, “Most Secure Places to Live – Small Towns,”: May, 2009
- Ithaca’s Gimme! Coffee ranked #2 in “9 Great Coffees,” by Saveur magazine, iss. 114, Oct. 2008
- Ithaca’s Gimme! Coffee ranked best coffee bar by Food & Wine magazine, Sept. 2008
- Ithaca ranked #1 “green commuter” city by AARP Magazine, Sept. 2008.
- Ithaca Beer named New York’s #1 craft brewer at the annual Tap NY Festival, Aug. 2008
- Ithaca ranked #6 in “The 20 Best Towns in America” by Outside magazine, Aug. 2008
- Ithaca's EcoVillage selected as a top-8 "Ecotopia" by Forbes magazine, April 2008
- Ithaca chosen as a top-10 global travel destination by Gore-Tex and the Adventure Travel Trade Association, April 2008